Jun 26, 2008


When I purchased an iPhone, I bought into the idea I would need extra insurance on it. You know, if I accidentally dropped it, or if, well, anything happened to it. Now with the 3G iPhone coming out, I almost regret buying this package. Apple is sneaky. Unlike the old iPhone, the new one will require in-store activation. I.e., you can't buy up a hundred of them and sell them on eBay. I thought about selling mine, but who wants to lock themselves into a 2 year plan with a phone that really can't compare with its heir? No one. Right, so I decided to look into the AppleCare plan that I bought, you know, to see if I dropped it, if they would replace it with a newer phone. To my dismay, they will not. I did find a gem written in the terms and conditions of the plan that I'd like to share with you all:

Concerning the type of accidents not covered:

"Extreme environment (including extreme temperature or humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes..."

That's right, careful readers. Apple has positioned itself as a company against the very hand of God when it comes to coverage. Whatever legal reason they purport for this addendum is beyond me, unless some zealot argues his way to court, citing that God miraculously destroyed his phone. Why stop with acts of God? What if an alien abducts and defiles my phone, mistaking it for some sort of anthropoid? Well that would fall under the category of other external causes I suppose. What I'm trying to get to here is, does anyone want to buy an iPhone for, ahm, $100? $50?

No comments: