Apr 8, 2009

I went through a "Frasier" phase for a while...

Here are some vocab words from the show:


Hothouse flower
– someone who needs pampering or special conditions
Charlatan - a person falsely claiming to have a special knowledge or skill; a fraud
Flop sweat – nervous perspiration caused by a fear or failure before an audience
Busman’s Holiday – vacation during which one engages in activity that is similar to one’s usual work
Asinine - extremely stupid or foolish
Rapscallion - one who is playfully mischievous or a scoundrel
The Eleventh Hour - the latest possible moment
In Flagranti Delicto – caught in the act
Anon – soon, shortly

And now I will recount one of my favorite memories of Theology so far...

Dr. Hogg just finished an explanation of the location of inspiration in Scripture, and a guy raises his hand. I can't remember his question exactly, but it was something rambling like,

Guy: "Uh Dr. Hogg, with what you just stated concerning the revelation as found in, ah, the Old Testament, or was it the...(checks his computer), or maybe it was the New Testament, in Galatians, then how...where are we to find a correspondence or, or evidence of the new work that, that the Holy Spirit is actually present or if the Father is in the Spirit present?" (Something like that)

(A good four second pause)

Dr. Hogg, looking up: "I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what you were saying, what was the question again? I was watching an episode of Frasier in my head, and Niles was trying to put out a fire in the kitchen while Frasier was entertaining guests..."

No comments: