Sep 29, 2007

Side Notes

It's really hard to study when you're sick. I don't even know what I have. I think it's from overworking myself. Work from 5:30-10:30am, then class some days until 6:30pm. Mixed with no exercise and unhealthy eating habits = sick.
I have this perpetual headache and occasional nasal greenery. Not the worse – still very, very annoying. And my exams are next week. If you are of the praying persuasion, pray for me.

On a side note...

Have you ever heard anyone say, "our thoughts and prayers go out to such and such…"?
Prayers I get. But "thoughts"? What is that? Thoughts are nice, but useless. Like a car, with...ah, no wheels. You get it.

One other side note...
This is for people who take verses out of context.

Picture Da Vinci's Mona Lisa. Beautiful smile, pleasant features, apparently sitting on a mountainside, etc. Now picture me cutting a nice hole in the canvass, plucking her wondering eye from its rightful place.
You should cringe, or at least tell on me.
Why did I do it? Well, for me, I like the tone of the paint in and around her eye. It warms me when I'm down. Not only that, now I know that she's always looking at me.

Ridiculous.

When you rip a verse out of context, you are essentially defacing a masterpiece. Mere recognition of a biblical verity does not free you to misapply it. As students of the Word of God, we must consider the sentence in the paragraph in the chapter in the section that is in the letter or document. Look at the background context. Study the literary devices used. It is ignorant to do otherwise. All Scriptural meaning will be universal, application is what will vary.

1 comment:

Dan Hawkins said...

But you wouldn't pray for someone if you didn't think about them, and knowing someone is thinking about you can be comforting...